Thursday, July 20, 2006

I love Google Labs

What Google has going on in Google Labs is just really exciting. Google Labs is, to put it simply, a public showcase of everthing Google is designing that's not ready to go mainstream quite yet. Volunteer beta testers, like myself, will download programs in Google labs, try them out, and send feedback to Google about what we liked about the program and what needs improvement. In Google's own terms, Google Labs is their "technology playground." The 'Labs' product that I'm using the most right now is Google Browser Sync. Since I'm using different computers at home, at work, and anywhere between, I need a portal to centralize all of my internet information; Browser Sync helps me accomplish that. From whatever computer I'm currently on (as long as it has Firefox with Browser Sync downloaded on it), I can transport all of my information from my last use of Firefox to my current visit. Tabs, cookies, bookmarks, and everthing else all come back, even if it's on a computer on the other side of the world. All I have to do is log on. Of course, in beta phase, Google browser sync does have its drawbacks. The biggest one right now is that it takes while to start up. Of course, as Google's working out the kinks of the program right now, so I would expect to see the lag time vanish by the time it goes mainstream. Nevertheless, I still love it as a product, and will always use it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home